Established in 1985, IGNOU, popularly known as The Indira Gandhi National Open University has set a benchmark for quality distance and open education. This institution is named after former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and is considered one of the largest universities globally. It was founded under an act of Parliament to cater to the best and quality education across different fields through distance learning. It was meant to change the lives of students of:
- Those who live in absolute remote areas of the nation cannot access higher education.
- Those individuals who are unable to join universities regularly due to financial instability
- Finally, to those professionals who want to upgrade their skills for career betterment.
IGNOU has created informative, industrial driven and quality courses available to long-distance learners, which were initially limited to conventional classroom-teacher methods such as engineering, IT, B.Ed, Health, etc. The approximate student strength of IGNOU is 1.5 million each year.
IGNOU has made a tremendous contribution to higher education development via distance learning in India. It is known as people’s University since it allows underprivileged students to access higher levels in education and follows a learner-centric approach. It is pretty flexible in admissions, fee structures and will enable students to pursue their pace to complete a particular program.
The university caters to Indian students and includes foreign nationals for several programs. Students from around 30-40 countries benefit from IGNOU distance learning programs. The University has successfully maintained higher education standards through distance learning, and it is recognized as “Center of Excellence” by COL (Commonwealth of Learning), which provides Executive Management Program in India by utilizing IGNOU as their current platform for management training.\
At present, IGNOU is offering 338 programs over 3,500 courses to build the nation and upscale student strength.
IGNOU has a total of Eleven Divisions. These divisions take care of several processes as follows:
Sr. No Divisions
- Academic and Coordination
- Construction and Maintenance
- Finance and Accounts
- Library and Documentation
- Material Production and Distribution
- Planning and Development
- Regional Services
- Student Registration and Evaluation
IGNOU offers programs including a doctorate, master and bachelors degree in the selected field. It further provides postgraduates and undergraduate diplomas and certifications.
Details of IGNOU Distance Learning Courses
Its aspirants can choose from diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate distance learning programs at the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
IGNOU offers many online courses in addition to its Open and Distance Learning Courses.
Eligibility Criteria for IGNOU’s Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree Courses
- Candidates for Bachelor’s Programs should have passed 10+2 examinations or equivalent from a recognized university.
- Candidates for a master’s program must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university.
Complete List of courses offered by IGNOU:
There are several courses offered by the IGNOU regularly, online and through distance education. The admission process can be applied for online at the official website of IGNOU at ignou.ac.in by interested students.
There are two ways to gain admission to IGNOU Courses: through entrance tests or ranking in a qualifying degree.
- Courses offered by IGNOU include undergraduate and postgraduate programs in the field of humanities, sciences, education, engineering, law, management, agriculture, tourism, hospitality, journalism, and media studies.
- Additionally, IGNOU offers a variety of Diploma and postgraduate diploma courses.
- Diploma courses and postgraduate diploma courses.
- Examinations are held by IGNOU in December and June each year.
IGNOU Distance Learning Courses
IGNOU allows you to enrol in these courses over long periods, giving you more time to complete the course at your own pace than at regular universities. In addition, IGNOU is accredited by NAAC, AICTE & NCTE, which is an excellent indicator when searching for a job.
IGNOU COURSES FOR AGRICULTURE
It offers PhD in Dairy Science and Technology and PhD in Agriculture Extension. It has Diploma and certification courses for the following:
- PGDM and Diploma
- Certificate Course
- PG P.G.ploma In Plantation Management
- PG P.G.rtificate in Agriculture Policy
- PG P.G.ploma for Food Safety and Quality Management
- Certificate in Sericulture
- Diploma in Dairy Technology
- Certificate in Water Harvesting and Management
- Diploma for Value-added Products such as Pulses and Oilseeds
- Certificate in Poultry Farming
- Diploma for Value Added Products from Fruits and Veggies
- Certificate in Beekeeping
- Diploma in Fish Products Technology
- Certificate in Organic Farming
- Diploma in Watershed Management
- Certificate – Integrated Pest Management Technology
- Diploma in Meat Technology
- Awareness Programme on Dairy Farming
- Training Programme on Betel Vine for farmers
- Awareness Programme for Value Added Products (Fruits and Vegetables)
IGNOU COURSES FOR COMPUTER AND INFORMATION SCIENCES
The University offers PhD Computer Science and also a Certificate in Information Technology. It provides bachelor as well as Masters in Computer Applications (BCA & MCA).
IGNOU COURSES FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION
- PhD and Masters
- PGDM and Diploma
- Certification Courses
- PhD in Rural Development
- PG P.G.ploma in Counselling and Family Therapy
- Certificate in Nutrition and Childcare
- PhD in Food & Nutrition
- PG P.G.ploma in Rural Development
- Certificate in Food and Nutrition
- MA in Rural Development
- Diploma in Panchayat Level Administration & Development
- Certificate Programme in Rural Development
- MSc in Counselling and Therapy
- Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education
- MSc Degree – Dietetics and Food Management
- Diploma in Nutrition and Health Education
IGNOU COURSES AT SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
- PhD, Bachelors and Masters Program
- PGDM and Diploma Program
- PhD in Education
- PG P.G.ploma in Higher Education Management
- MA in Distance Education
- PG P.G.ploma in Adult Education
- MA (Education)
- PG P.G.ploma in School Leadership and Management
- Master of Education
- PG P.G.ploma in Higher Education
- MA in Adult Education
- PG P.G.ploma in Education Technology
- Bachelor of Education
- P.G. P.G. Loma in Educational Management and Administration
- P.G. P.G. Loma in Pre-Primary Education
It also offers certification programs in Adult Education, Information and Assistive Technologies for the Instructors of Visually Impaired, Elementary Teacher Education and Guidance.
IGNOU COURSES FOR ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
IGNOU offers PhD in Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering. It also provides certification in Power Distribution Management, Energy Technology and Management, Competency in Power Distribution and Motor Cycle Service and Repair.
IGNOU COURSES OF EXTENSION AND DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
The University offers an MA M.A.ogram in Development Studies, Extension & Development Studies during certification in Value Education. It also provides a PG P.G.ploma in Urban Planning and Development, Extension and Development Studies.
IGNOU COURSES FOR FOREIGN LANGUAGES
It offers PhD in Arabic and PhD in French. It also has a Diploma in Teaching German as a Foreign Language. It provides certification courses for the following:
- Certificate in Russian Language (CRUL)
- Certificate in Spanish Language & Culture (CSLC)
- Diploma in French Language (CFL)
- Diploma in Arabic Language (CAL)
IGNOU COURSES FOR HEALTH SCIENCES
- PhD in Nursing
- Post-Doctoral Certificate in Dialysis Medicine
- PG P.G.ploma in HIV Medicine
- PG P.G.ploma in Hospital and Health Management
- PG P.G.ploma in Maternal and Child Health
- PG P.G.ploma in Geriatric Medicine
- BSc Nursing
- Diploma in Nursing Administration
- Certification in Critical Care Nursing
- Certificate in Newborn & Infant Nursing
- Certificate in Maternal and Child Health Nursing
- Certificate in Home Based Health Care
- Certificate in Health Care Waste Management
IGNOU COURSES FOR GENDER AND DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
- MA in Gender and Development Studies
- MA in Women’s and Gender Studies
- PG P.G.iploma in Women’s & Gender Studies
- Diploma in Women’s Empowerment and Development
IGNOU COURSES FOR HUMANITIES
- PhD in English
- PhD in Hindi
- MA – English
- MA – Hindi
- PG P.G.ploma in Book Publishing
- Diploma in Creative Writing in English
- Diploma in Urdu
- Certification in Teaching – Only for English as a Second Language
- Certificate in the Urdu Language
- Certificate Programme in Functional English for basic level
IGNOU COURSES FOR INTERDISCIPLINARY AND TRANS-DISCIPLINARY STUDIES
- PhD in Inter-disciplinary and Trans-disciplinary Studies
- MA (Philosophy)
- PG P.G.ploma in Sustainability Science
- PG P.G.ploma in Folklore and Culture Studies
- Appreciation Course on Population and Sustainable Development
IGNOU COURSES FOR JOURNALISM AND NEW MEDIA STUDIES
- PG Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
- PG P.G.ploma in Audio Programme Production
- Certificate in Community Radio
- IGNOU Courses at School of Law
- PhD in Law
- PG P.G.ploma in Intellectual Property Rights
- PG P.G.ploma in Criminal Justice
- PG Certificate in Cyber Law
- PG P.G.rtificate in Patent Practice
- Diploma in Paralegal Practice
Certification Courses for Journalism and Media:
- Certificate in Human Rights
- Certificate in Consumer Protection
- Diploma in International Humanitarian Law
- Certificate in Anti Human Trafficking
- Certificate in Co-operation, Co-operative Law
IGNOU COURSES FOR MANAGEMENT STUDIES
- PhD in Management
- PhD in Commerce
- MBA (Banking & Finance)
- Master of Commerce (MCom)
- Master of Commerce – In Business Policy and Corporate Governance, Management Accounting & Financial Strategies
- PG P.G.ploma in International Business Operations
- Bachelor of Commerce
- BCom – Financial & Cost Accounting
- BBA in Retailing
- Diploma in Management
- Certificate in NGO Management
- Certificate in Business Skills
- Master of Philosophy in Commerce
IGNOU COURSES FOR PERFORMING AND VISUAL ARTS
- Certificate in Performing Arts – Bharatnatyam, Hindustani Music, Karnatak Music, Theatre Arts.
- Certificate in Visual Arts – For Painting, Applied Arts